Lead
The Northwest Territories has seen the largest relative increase in both spousal relationships and women seeking shelter help because of spousal abuse.
Excel Workbook Link and Explanation
In my Excel Workbook, the first section includes a breakdown of the original data I found through the Statistics Canada and CANSIM website. From there, I sorted and moved some of the data so that I could have the "Number of women residents escaping abusive spousal relationships" (Slice1) and the "Rate per 100,000 women in spousal relationships" (Slice2) separated. I wanted to be able to make comparisons within each part of the data before comparing them to each other. According to the footnotes provided with the original data, the "data prior to 2004 may have used different populations to calculate this rate; thus, comparisons should be made with caution," so I removed the data from 2000 and 2002 to be safe.
I then used the percent change formula on both portions of the data to see which province has had the most relative change within the 2004 to 2014 period. This showed that the Northwest Territories had a 100% increase in the number of women seeking shelter and an 86% increase in the number of spousal relationships.
Original Dataset Link
Here is another link to the original dataset I found through the Statistics Canada and CANSIM website.
News Story/Study Link and Brief Summary
I found an article was published by Kate Kyle at the CBC on June 14, 2017 titled "'Women have nowhere to go': New report shows picture of intimate partner violence in N.W.T." This article includes interviews with experts and researchers involved with this report, local RCMP officers, and data that shows how serious this issue is in the Northwest Territories. According to the article, "in 2013 the rate of violence against women in the N.W.T. was nine times the national rate, according to Statistics Canada."
This article also looks at some of the issues the Northwest Territories has in terms of actually providing these services and working with those in abusive relationships. Kyle notes, "eighty percent of communities in the N.W.T. don't have access to victim services; 85 per cent don't have shelters."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Spousal Abuse Rates and Awareness in Canada
Saskatchewan has the highest per capita rate of women in spousal relationships that are escaping abusive situations, according to survey ...
-
Joel Eastwood and Erik Hinton from The Wall Street Journal analyzed some of the rhyming patterns and lyrics from the recent Broadway hit,...
-
Charts Unanswered Questions 1. With the original dataset, I have not been able to answer specifically where these shelters are ac...
-
Saskatchewan has the highest per capita rate of women in spousal relationships that are escaping abusive situations, according to survey ...
Good move not using the data prior to 2004.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I wonder if there was a way to combine "Slice1" and "Slice2". It was a good idea to do the calculations differently, but because they're on different tabs, it takes awhile to see the correlation.
Hi Yaunna,
ReplyDeleteThank you for going the extra mile in providing two slices depicting the number of women escaping violence and the rate of women in spousal relationships.
To me, separating this two offers a look at the potential reality that the majority of women in violent spousal relationships don't report their abuse due to various reasons, apart from historical trauma and alcohol. These are symptoms of a bigger issue.